Extensions-Templates-Site – New Account-Request-Form with better Spam Protection

The LibreOffice templates site experienced very high spam bombing during the last weeks. We got about 100 to 200 new tickets via the account request form that were mostly spam or for not intended use. Thus I decided to research for a better protection of the form against robots. I got some hints from the Plone community and decided to go with an add-on named collective.z3cform.norobots and a hidden field that should not be filled (robots tend to fill that field and will be recognized by that and will never open a new ticket).

The new add-on that I use to protect the form adds a field with free configurable questions to the form. There are currently some questions with answers available but there is always space for some new for a human easy to answer questions. If you want to propose a new question-answer-pair please contact me at maand<at>gmx<dot>de.

The new form is currently implemented for the LibreOffice templates site and will be added to the LibreOffice extensions site the next days, as soon as I get some spare time to write the source code.

Spam-Requests on LibreOffice Extensions- and Templates-Site

We decided a longer time ago that we shut down self registration because we got so many unused accounts on the extensions- and templates-site. We had to delete the empty accounts by hand.

We changed over to a request form on both sites where contributors could ask for an account. This prevent us from the former situation, because the requests were forwarded to our ticket system and could be handled manually by copy and paste to create a new account.

There were not only requests from real contributors but also some requests from spammer. This situation changed since the last weekend. First we got about 30 new tickets per day into our queue, but today we got more than 210 tickets per day. Thus if you asking me what I’m doing for The Document Foundation and LibreOffice during the evening you may even get an idea.

Sadly it’s currently not developing a new templates site or other useful tasks.

LibreOffice at the Open Rhein Ruhr in Oberhausen

The LibreOffice team attended the Open Rhein Ruhr in Oberhausen last weekend (9./10. Nov.). We, Jacqueline Rahemipour, Ellen and Walter Pape and myself, had a booth there with interesting discussions about the office suite and it’s features. We could answer some user questions and explain to them the rich amount of filters for the work with different file formats. Some visitors only showed up at the booth to thank us and the LibreOffice project for the work we have done and are doing.
In addition to running the booth I gave two presentations (in German) about ‚Office suite also for business use – LibreOffice‚ and about ‚The Document Foundation – The open, free and meritokratic future of free Software Development‘. Both gave another opportunity to discuss with visitors of the Open Rhein Ruhr the current status of LibreOffice and The Document Foundation and what they expect in the future.

Submission-Form for new Templates

The LibreOffice templates repository is driven by Plone and some add-ons. I’m working on a new Plone-Add-On for the template repository that will create a more flat project structure. I already created a big part of the add-on.

I got the hint some weeks ago that there is a product available that could create Dexterity content from a form. I gave this product a try yesterday (again) and it works great. It’s an add-on for PloneFormGen and named collective.pfg.dexterity, created by Asko Soukka.

I started with a FormFolder, that I created through the web (inside Plone) and I get a template for a form with some default fields. I could add different fields to this form (they are all content pieces inside the FormFolder) and they were added to the form. Because I decided that I want to rename some default fields and make others invisible, I edited some of the contents in the folder via the Plone interface.

The very smart part of the work follows at the end. I added a Content Adapter to the FormFolder and edited this new adapter. I choose the Dexterity content file that should be created by the form. Then I choose, where this newly created content file should be stored and that it should be submitted for publication, and assigned every field of the form to a field in the Dexterity file that should be created from the form.

I had not to write any line of code for this form and I got some validators (e.g. for well formed URL) for free. I made a first test and created a new template project and it worked perfect.