I researched a bit about Learn Managment Systems (LMS) and came across a system named Ilias. This LMS is used by some institutions, e.g. the Fachhochule für Verwaltung Nordrhein-Westfalen (a university of applied science in North Rhine Westfalia). I currently got an user account at their LMS and could do some work in a user space. The LMS and their instance seemed to have a lot of features. The development of the Ilias LMS seemed to be very active. They publish regularly minor releases.
But I was also curious about the admin site of the Ilias LMS and thus I took the time to install an instance on my notebook. I used the current version 5.3.5 and copied all files to a webcontent directory of the Apache webserver. Once I pointed my browser to that directory I got a webpage with the check of the installation requirements. I installed the missing ones and set the necessary permissions. Then I followed the next steps of the Ilias installation. I got an issue with the database installation, because the setting for ‚max_allowed_packet‘ didn’t suit the needs of Ilias. I fixed that on the command line of MariaDB. I logged into MariaDB with admin rights and typed on the command line: ‚SET Global max_allowed_packet = [new value];‘. Then everything went fine and the database was created and populated.
Once I finished the further steps of the installation, I got an adminstrator account. I could log into this account with the standard password and replace this with my own one. I created a new user and configured its settings, e.g. the language setting. I took a short look at the available tools of the LMS, especially those for the learn managment. Ilias came with an impressive set of such tools by default. I’ll examine this tools and will look for additional plugins next time.
I worked with a small team on a WordPress website project for some month. We finished the site during the last weeks and decided to replace the old website with this new WordPress site today. Because the new website lives in a subdirectory of the webspace I had to make some edits inside the WordPress admin backend (e.g. changing some general URLs) and fix some hard coded links. This took some effort but in the end I managed to get the site live.
This project is technically done yet. I’m looking forward to some further projects using FOSS software to support the work of this organization of volunteers.
I worked a bit inside the virtual machine which runs the LibreOffice extensions and templates website today and reordered the files and moved some of them inside new subfolders. The directory with the Plone instance is much cleaner again.
I updated the LibreOffice extensions website with the source code fix that I added yesterday. The issue with documentation files is gone now.
I worked on an issue that a contributor to the LibreOffice extensions and templates website (https://extensions.libreoffice.org) forwarded to me. I had to investigate the source code for the connection to the uploaded documentation file for an extension and submitted a fix for this issue today the TDF github repository. The fix will be available within the next run of buildout for the LibreOffice extensions and templates website.
I started my examination of LibreOffice extension projects which remain in review state private and sent some owners an email. Let’s wait for the response and see if the projects could make it to publication. Will continue my work during the next days.
I worked on an improvement of my script to find LibreOffice extension and template projects that are in the review state private and never made it to the review queue. I’ll run that script soon and evalute the resulting lists. Maybe some of the authors have forgotten about their projects or have other issues with the publication process. Let’s see what happens.
I worked on a notebook of colleague with a broken hard disk during the weekend. I removed the old disk and added a solid state drive to it. I installed also operating system to the new disk and in addition she got some free software on it, particularly the new LibreOffice 6.
I’m currently busy with my payed day work and thus have only very small ressources for voluteer work. I met with some friends today to work on a new WordPress site. We finished some tasks and talked about the future steps and the lauch of the site. We also launched a NextCloud instance and I showed a bit of the features to my friends.
Because I’ll on another meeting they will show the site and the NextCloud instance to the whole group of local volunteers during the next weekend.
I wrote a first version of a howto about the creation of LibreOffice non-code extensions. This howto is written in German language and the source code is available from my Github repository:
I added some sample templates to this repository, one for each LibreOffice non-code extension, which I described in the howto. You could view them here:
You could check out this code samples and adapt (by editing) them to your own new LibreOffice non-code extension.
I’m keen to see your LibreOffice non-code extension inside the LibreOffice extension repository: https://extensions.libreoffice.org